Chilliwack is no stranger to extreme weather events. Protecting a home is more than just roofing and siding, it’s how they are installed. Let’s have a look at what roofing and siding components will protect your home!
1. Vapour Permeable Wall Protection: Covering exterior walls with a vapour permeable membrane will effectively stop water from penetrating your home.
2. Rain Screen: Installing ½ rain screen on exterior walls will create a capillary break and allow for water drainage and evaporation.
3. Flashings: Correctly installing drip cap flashings will prevent water from leaking around windows and doors. Drip cap flashing should have end dams and be installed directly over windows and doors, then again above window and door trim.
4. Siding: There are many types of siding to choose from, but here is a fact that may make your decision a little easier to make. Vinyl siding is water resistant, whereas Hardie siding, and metal cladding can be installed to make your home waterproof!
1. Ice & Water Shield: Water can easily penetrate your roof when ice damming occurs. Having Ice & Water shield installed on the first 6 feet of your roof will prevent this! Ice & water shield should also be applied around roof penetrations, in valleys and on gables.
2. Flashings: For the most protection your roof should have all required flashings, not just the basics. Flashings should be a minimum of 26-gauge and include w-valley, eave, gable and wall flashing.
3. Fasteners: All roofing nails used should be a minimum of 1 ½” in length and be hot dipped galvanized. Exposed fasteners should be self-sealing screws with the same colour as the flashing they secure.
4. Roofing: Metal roofing, installed correctly is the most protective roof system you can find for a sloped roof. A shingled roof can be very resistant to extreme weather as long as they are installed with a high wind nailing pattern and installed in warm weather conditions to allow the shingles to seal fully.
Looking for roofing or siding that can stand up to extreme weather events? Call CrossRange today!